This is an in depth review of the Janome DC2014 computerized sewing machine including its overall features, the built-in stitches and buttonholes, presser feet, accessories, a video demo, what users have to say, the pros and cons, and the best price.
You can jump ahead by using the Table of Contents to the right or continue reading.
The Janome DC2014 is a great machine from the dependable and trusted Janome brand and overall it is a fantastic value in the computerized sewing machine category.
One thing to know about this machine is that Janome puts out a new one each year so the model number matches the year it was made. The only thing that changes is the color. The features remain the same. The good thing about that is if you aren’t a fan of the purple color then check out the previous years models. The DC2011 is pink, the DC2012 is green, and the DC 2013 is blue. Again, same machine and very similar features, just different colors.
Update: The Janome DC2015 is red 🙂
Here is a general overview of the features and accessories included with the Janome DC2014. Continue reading below for a more in depth overview of each of the features included in this table.
|Features||Janome DC 2014 Computerized Sewing Machine|
|Buttonhole Styles||Three One-Step Buttonholes|
|Needle Threading System||Automatic|
|Easy Bobbin Winding||Yes|
|Automatic Thread Cutter||No|
|Presser Feet Included||6|
|Quick Set Bobbin||Yes|
|Max Sewing Speed (stitches per minute)||860 spm|
|Stitch Width||Adjustable (max of 7mm)|
|Stitch Length||Adjustable (max of 5mm)|
|Speed Controller||Yes (Slider)|
|Automatic Needle Up / Down||Yes|
|Drop Feed / Free Motion||Yes|
|Carrying Case||Hard Case Included|
|Machine Weight||18.2 lbs|
|Warranty||Janome 25 Year Limited Warranty|
|Current Rating (Amazon.com)|
The Janome DC2014 has 50 built-in stitches. The stitches are clearly printed on the front of the machine for easy selection.
Just scroll through the stitches using the buttons and select your desired stitch. Below each stitch is the recommended foot to use.
A plus with this machine is the variety of stitches. You can do just about anything with the combination of stitches the DC2014 offers.
- Stretch stitches
- Utility stitches
- Quilting stitches
- Garment stitches
There are also 3 one-step sensor-type buttonholes built-in.
The presser feet snap off at the push of a button. Then simply lower the ankle onto the foot and snap another one back on. It’s easy!
- Satin stitch foot F: For sewing dense zigzag stitching. The bottom of the foot is beveled for smooth delivery of the thread when sewing decorative or satin stitches.
- Zipper foot E: For use when sewing in zippers.
- Automatic buttonhole foot R (9mm): This is a buttonhole foot for making an automatic buttonhole. This foot works with a sensor on your sewing machine so that it makes the exact size buttonhole for the button you are using. The button is placed in the slot at the back of the foot, and the foot adjusts to the size of the button. There is a sensor on the machine which works with the foot to create a buttonhole the appropriate size. This is an incredibly easy way to make a buttonhole!
- Overedge foot C: Use with an overcasting stitch to allow the thread to wrap around the edge of the fabric to prevent unraveling. =
- Blind hem foot G: The blind hem foot has a metal guide in the center and three grooves on the underside. During blind hemming, the fold of the fabric fits snugly against the guide in the foot for accuracy while the grooves underneath help to prevent unnecessary slipping. The needle swings over the metal guide creating slack in the upper tension so that the pick of the stitch is almost invisible.
- 1/4″ seam foot O: This is a popular foot with patchworkers for that essential 1/4 inch seam. The guide on the foot enables you to sew a perfect 1/4 inch seam every time. The guide can also be used wherever a 1/4 inch seam is called for.
- Even feed foot: This is sometimes referred to as the walking foot and it is designed with a set of feed dogs (teeth) which allow the fabric to feed without shifting and eliminates the problem of the under layer of fabric coming up short. The even feed foot is also great for top-stitching which can be inconsistent due to irregularity of stitching.
- Seam ripper / buttonhole opener
- Lint brush
- Quilter bar
- Foot control
- Additional spool pin
- Spool pin felt
- Spool stand
- Spool holder (large)
- Spool holder (small)
- Instruction book
- Power supply cord
- Hard cover
The hard cover is a great value. If purchased separately, you would spend between $20 and $30.
Here is a short video demo of the DC2014 in use.
This is another good video made by Vanessa “The Crafty Gemini”.
The user reviews for the DC2014 are overall positive.
Average Rating by Users: 4.9 / 5
Reviews rave about how quiet the machine is, yet it is sturdy and vast. Reviewers also praise the detail and easy to follow steps in the instruction manual.
This is a popular machine among quilters with many praising the “stitch down” feature and the 1/4-inch foot for sewing seams for quilts.
- Solid construction, yet it is lightweight and portable
- Superior feed system and excellent stitch quality
- Enough features to satisfy an advanced sewer, but user friendly for beginners too
- At just under $500, it may be out of the price range for some shoppers.
- No automatic thread cutter (this is a great time saving feature)
- Location of the drop feed mechanism is inconvenient
The Janome DC2014 is an excellent sewing machine for advanced seamstresses and beginners too. It has lots of features, which are intuitive, user-friendly, and easy to learn and understand.
The stitch quality is amazing. With this machine you can easily make quilts, home decor items, clothing, do repairs, do heavy duty sewing as well as make delicate blouses or dresses.
The Janome brand is well-known for quality and durability. You will not find this brand in your local big box stores, but if you do your research you will see that Janome is a very well respected name and is always at the cutting edge of sewing technology.
I highly recommend this brand and I highly recommend this machine. From doing my research, I can say that this particular machine is on my list for the next machine I purchase.
A plus for ordering through Amazon is that if you are a member of of Amazon Prime you can get it shipped to your door in under 2 days. (I highly recommend this. I’ve been a Prime member since 2009 and I’ve saved so much time and money shopping on Amazon )